Monday, April 6, 2009

Damiana Liqueur




I'm a big fan of the herb damiana. It is a wonderful aphrodisiac and I have also used
it to overcome fertility issues. Here is a recipe I am going to try in the next few weeks!!!


This is delicious and was one of the first things I tried upon delving into the
world of herbal medicine! Boy did it get my attention! Anyway I have been dying to make
some since then and that was sadly 15 years ago and I have been hanging on to the recipe
for a long while needless to say! So I have decided my man (who is studying herbs)
and I will make some in the very near future. Well as soon as I get all the ingredients gathered.


Damiana liqueur has been used for centuries in Mexico and also by ancient
civilizations such as the Mayans. It can be used as a tincture or infusion.


1 fifth brandy

4 oz damiana

2 oz lemon grass

4 oz cinnamon sticks

1 tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. ground nutmegs

1 c. honey

1 oz marijuana tincture (optional but recommended- I will post the directions
for this specifically sometime this coming week!)

cheesecloth

large wide mouth mason jar w/ a lid



Place the herbs in the wide mouth jar. Cover with the brandy and screw on the lid.

Let this sit for 4-6 weeks.

Strain through cheesecloth and sweeten with honey.


Enjoy! ;)





3 comments:

  1. Damiana is one of the few herbs I really wanted to grow that I failed to purchase seeds for this year (there were just so many!!).

    I wonder if a wild lettuce liqueur could be made? I know the effect would obviously be quite different, but I'm growing wild lettuce and I love the thought of having a pre-bedtime drink. :)

    I love your blog! I just discovered it, and have really enjoyed what I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see why you couldn't try it with wild lettuce!

    Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog too! I appreciate it! :)

    Green Blessings
    ~April

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a plant that looks just like this. It sends up volunteers like crazy. Everyone tells me its a Hawaiian native hibiscus but it looks exactly like this picture.

    ReplyDelete